- Liked the introduction – good to understand about each school and their values. Nice to get into smaller groups – more focussed for primary. The Trust honestly seems such a positive and driven team to work for and I felt inspired that what I am learning to do is a life changing career. Thank you.
- It was nice to see the general ethos of Beckfoot, but also interesting how each school applies it according to the needs of their pupils. It was helpful to speak to the headteachers to get a better feel for each school and ask questions. Everyone was friendly & welcoming.
- Loved meeting members of staff form various schools. Learning about their school’s journey, “where they’ve come from” “where they’d like to go”. Interesting to find out information regarding the Trust. The positivity and guidance they offer.
- The group (whole group & the little groups) we’ve been working in has been so supportive & so willing to share ideas that it’s been a really reflective & developmental experience. The expertise and the time given by the facilitators has been so honest, it’s meant we’ve had unparalleled access to knowledge, experience & advice. My understanding of the content of documents & speeches is so much greater than it was & exploring the carousel of activities gives you a safe space to get it wrong – much appreciated!
- This has been the most useful course I have been on! I was really quite nervous before this weekend and I now feel that I can meet the requirements of an SLT interview day. I know what I need to work on and I have had the thinking space to figure out how to go about these actions. Thank you!
- Really clear process to prepare candidates for interview. It’s great to have so many future leaders from the Trust working together. The buzz & level of participation is inspiring. I’m really excited about working in such an inclusive Trust that plays such an active role in forming leadership.
- Just Brilliant! What a fantastic opportunity to have practice, prep, sound advice and guidance on the process. Lots of transferable advice and excellent rotations so we worked with several facilitators to get a good insight from various people. Excellent course. Eye opening! Thanks for organising.
Beckfoot Teaching School Coaching and Mentoring Conference
Our first Trust Coaching and Mentoring Conference took place on Friday 5th and Saturday 6th October at the Mercure. Facilitated by colleagues from Beckfoot Oakbank (Liz Hart, Becky White and Chris Buckley), 20 colleagues from across 6 Trust schools (teaching and support staff) came together to explore how coaching and mentoring can be used, not only for professional development, but also specifically to achieve better outcomes for learners.
Thank you to Zoe who delivered an inspirational keynote speech; setting an ambitious and uplifting vision for coaching and mentoring across the Trust. As a high calibre, highly reflective practitioner, Sophie's own experience of coaching resonated with all of us, helping us to understand how this can be a powerful tool for leading our own learning in a culture that actively promotes 'talking about learning'.
After a hectic Friday afternoon, the participants collaborated to create a set of Principles and Practice that can be adopted Trust wide. For me, working with 20 colleagues who are determined to open up the dialogue about creating remarkable learning environments for all stakeholder was a complete joy. I am confident that our trainees, NQTs and RQTs will get consistently good quality mentoring across the Trust. Moreover, many colleagues spoke of their interest in getting involved in programmes including Take 9 and Progress 10 that are deeply routes in reflective practice and coaching. Personally, I cannot wait until next year.
We had some wonderful feedback about the conference:
"I thought I was clear about mentoring but I am now much more clear about the role of coach and the overlap between the two"
"Fab event. It's good to work on things outside of school"
"Excellent skills in questioning - I have taken a lot away from this particular session"
"Great experience with support from a lovely team"
The Beckfoot Trust Teaching Conference
The Trust Teaching Conference at the end of September was simply a joy. Fifteen colleagues from across the Trust came together to share their ambitions as Early Career stage teachers (NQTs/RQTs), to learn from each other, to share and to challenge. Gill's keynote speech got us off to a great start - the themes around great teaching, no glass ceilings and data representing children resonated throughout the weekend. David and Jeremy provided a brilliant insight into what Trust HTs are looking for when we talk about creating remarkable learning environments. We all know much more about learning through ‘chanting’ thanks to Jeremy.
The Conference was also attended by 2 support staff who contributed significantly to the event. As ever, the more diverse the attendees the more we learn together. The facilitators were excellent in shaping and influencing the activities so that the participants gained tangible benefits from attending.
We had some fantastic feedback at the end of the conference.....
"Really useful activity. Allowed me to consider in depth the effect of tasks and whether progress is made"
"How to confidently look at data and pick out priorities of under-achievers and select best intervention"
"Observing the lesson and then unpicking it individually was good, and it was made even better once we discussed in a group as it helped bounce ideas around"