Initial Teacher Training
Initial Teaching Training is an important priority for the Teaching School and the Trust.
As an Employer of Choice we actively seek to train and recruit the very best teachers that are available. This requires all Trust Schools to support the highly effective Beckfoot School Direct Partnership.
The School Direct programme is overseen by an experienced SD Lead co-ordinator, is facilitated by highly effective mentors and has an exceptional record of achievement from our HE Providers at Leeds Trinity University and Leeds Beckett University.
The ITT Strategy involves:
- High profile attendance at all marketing events
- Providing placements in schools for prospective trainees
- Disseminating a compelling message about our vision and values as a Trust and our commitment to becoming the Employer of Choice not only locally but regionally
- Drawing in our most effective teachers to act as mentors for trainees.
- Providing a comprehensive School Direct programme that truly prepares trainees for the demands of becoming a NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher), a RQT (Recently Qualified Teacher) and a resilient teacher that is able to commit to a demanding yet rewarding career.
- Early talent spotting and early recruitment of trainees to vacancies within the post.
- Outstanding provision that allows trainees to gain grade 1 at accreditation.
Whether you are a graduate, or considering a career change, training to teach with us will provide you with firm foundations for a great career in teaching.
You can apply directly to Beckfoot through UCAS for the subject you are interested in teaching. The Beckfoot provider code for UCAS is 1MU.
A Message from Gill Halls, Associate Director People and Talent
When accepting new trainee teachers on to our programme, we look for those people who embrace the values and vision of our Trust. They are enthusiastic adults who are totally student centred, love their subject and believe passionately in the role that excellent teaching plays in inspiring and motivating learners. They understand that education is the key lever for social mobility, that every student has potential and talent and they are keen to learn how to ‘unlock’ these through their teaching. They will recognise the wider roles schools, and teachers, play in providing remarkable learning environments, where genuine enjoyment of leaning takes place within vibrant communities with a wealth of exciting extra curricular opportunities.
We absolutely love working with trainees in all of our Trust schools. Our mentors and coaches develop their own practice by sharing expertise with trainees and acting as a learning partner in guiding them through their training journey.
With an excellent record of trainee success and recruitment to teaching post in our Trust, we welcome any prospective trainees to spend time with us in our schools and to see for themselves just how rewarding teaching is.